Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Sl500: When turn off the engine and pull out the key and open

Customer Question

When turn off the engine and pull out the key and open the door, the door buzzer goes on as normal, but when I exit and close the door the buzzer continues and the interior door lights are 1/2 dim. I verified each door was firmly closed and the trunk and hood were all closed. Yet it still buzzes. I had to disconnect the battery to stop this. This just started after I took my car for a test drive.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi Art, can you confirm what it is doing? When you turn off the engine and remove the key there should be no buzzer at all when you open the door. Are you saying you are getting the buzzer with the door open and the key removed? Did you do any rewiring inside the car?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I reconnected the battery and opened the door and heard the buzzer. I closed the door and no buzzer. I started the car, after 4 minutes the engine cut out. I shut off the engine and no buzzer I opened the door and heard the buzzer. I closed the door and no buzzer. It now seems to work. Not sure what happened?
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi Art, if you haven't gone through and cleaned or replaced all of the fuses I would do that now. It sounds like you either had a sticking door switch or there is a bad ground somewhere. You will need to see if it repeats itself in order to diagnose further. You should not get a buzzer when you open the door if the key is out of the ignition and the headlights are off. That seat belt relay module that you replaced awhile back behind the passenger side dash could cause this problem. A bad "key in ignition" switch in the steering lock could also cause the problem with the buzzer but it wouldn't make the lights in the car stay on.