MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes
15777119

Mercedes 450 slc: MB 1976 450 SLC, car starts up just fine.

Customer Question

MB 1976 450 SLC, car starts up just fine. THE PROBLEM The problem is.4ohm resistor has burned out once before. It was replaced, the new one started to smoke after about 100 miles driven, when it started to smoke I turned the car off right away. The resistor still works. The car also started to run very bad, almost like something was knocking around inside (possible timing chain problem or rails) This all started just before the resistor started to smoke. Check both cam notches and crank DTC, along with disturber rotor, all lines up spot on. Check the rails looking inside for broken off parts, all looked good with no problem. Car has 140,000 miles on it and never had its chain replaced. TEST"S Coil professional tested at the shop and is within its rating's. Coil looks original. The starter is new Ignition switch is new Battery is new CPU wire/cable to disturber new The rotor is new Resistor test, 4. Ohm is 10.75 coming in. 3.38 leaving .6 ohm resistor is 3.30 coming in 1.82 leaving Removed of one wire's (starter) that leaving the.4 ohm resistor. The car starts up, but runs bad as before. .4 ohm does not heat up or smoke. Please advise, I need a high level of explanation of any ideas. Greg

Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi Greg, do you want me to try and help you here or let one of the other guys see if they can help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
Other
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Marty,

I prefer you! But as always I need to get this car back on the road please. I know your real busy all the time, so I'll make it your call for my help.

Best,

Greg

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi Greg, fill me in here as to where you are at with the car. I know we have the resistor problem resolved for now. How about the motor? Can you send me a 1 minute video of the motor running? Are you afraid to run it because of the noise?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Marty,

Looking forward to having your help again. Remember, I need advice somewhat coincidentally in order to get the car on the road.

Please review my last text with my concerns on removing wires and not understanding why it should not be fixed as new. Also, you may recall, I had a new starter and we left a wire off from it. So now I have two wires disconnected with no understanding why we should not track down the problem. I thought I already sent a video of the car running with a Google link to it. Let me know if you don't have it. Lets text again or call, it's faster for me.

Greg

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi Greg, we will eventually connect the wires but right now I'm concerned about the engine noise. With the resistor no longer smoking I'm hoping you can leave the motor running long enough to diagnose the noise. If you can resend the link to the video I will review it and text you back. Once again I'm running around like a mad man but I'll try to reply asap.

Marty
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

link sent

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Marty,

Your thoughts on my video, I'll like to get moving on this repair.

Greg

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi Greg, I sent you an email last night.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
Too much time between communication.