Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

I have a 91 190e 2.6l. when it warms up it dies and will not

Customer Question

I have a 91 190e 2.6l. when it warms up it dies and will not restart until it cools down. it is not running hot or anything and it runs good when cold but it dies when it warms up.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
One very common component to cause this fault here is the crank shaft position sensor.It heats up with engine temperature and over time and mileage once it heats up with the engine (not over heating) it fails to send an engine rpm signal and causes this fault here.
In most cases the vehicle has to sit and cool a short period of time before it will restart and in other cases it may start right back up again.
I would have this checked,usually it is checked with a scan tool monitoring the engine rpm signal when cranking over the engine when it will not start.If there is no rpm signal when this is cranked over the sensor is the cause needing replaced.
Thanks Pete