Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

380SL: 1984 Mercedes 380 SL I am unable to get the passenger

Customer Question

1984 Mercedes 380 SL
I am unable to get the passenger side catch to release on the storage lid for the top.
I have unbolted the top of the panel in the trunk but can not see any cable or rod that connects the driver side catch to the passenger side release.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. This can be a difficult task when the right side lock does not release. You need to go in through the right side trunk hinge opening with a large hook to hook the cable and pull back on it. Copy and paste the link below for the procedure. Before you do that try having a helper push down on the right side of the cover while you push firmly on the handle to release the lid.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/nrdlqkch1cfh5bm/77-340.pdf
Let me know how you make out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have attempted to hook this 'cable' with a hooked wire but as mentioned I am unable to see or feel any cable other than electrial, even with the top of the trunk panel opened!
This proccedure was obtained from other posts prior to contacting youCindy
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi Cindy, it's very difficult since the convertible top is laying on top of the cable. Your tool needs to go between the top and the floor of the compartment to find the cable. There are no electrical wires in that compartment so you may be feeling the cable. You could also try pushing down on the cable through the opening where the lid meets the chrome piece. If you look down through the gap you should see a spring. That spring wraps around the cable. If you can make a tool to go between the gap and push down on the cable and spring it might release.
If you haven't tried pressing down on the lid while pushing the handle I would do that also. If you push and pull while pressing down on the release lever it might pop loose.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi:I gave up and drove the car to a Mercedes dealer. He informed me that trying to fish the cable with a hook was not the way to go.
With a thin screwdriver he quickly released the catch and I am ready for the rain.Cindy
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
That's great news! I'm glad you got it squared away.