Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

ML430: I have a 2001 Mercedes ML320, it just gave me check

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Mercedes ML320, it just gave me check engine light and transmission suddenly start not to shift any up gears. All I do is run it at 30mph, when RPMs go up to 4000 rpm. What can I do with it?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi,my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to try to assist you with this.I may need more information in some cases to help with answering your question.
IN some cases the transfer case can lock in low gear on its own and cause this.Try this so we can see if this is the cause.Place the transmission in neutral and shift the transfer case low button into 4 low wait 5 seconds and back out of 4 low and repeat a few times and see if it starts to shift properly then.If this does not work what will need done is to have the fault codes checked in the transmission computer as well as the transfer case computer using a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with your vehicles computers as some scan tools will only read engine computers or are not European compatible.
I have seen transmission shift solenoid failure on the valve body in the transmission needing replaced as well as the valve body itself fail and need replaced.If it is a shift solenoid you are looking at around $400 parts and labor and a valve body can cost over $1500 parts and labor.
Thanks Pete