Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

E350 4matic: My daughter drove my 2006 E350 4matic to work

Customer Question

My daughter drove my 2006 E350 4matic to work and now at lunch the key fob won't turn to start the car. The gear is in park and she has wiggled the steering wheel to no avail.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi,my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to try to assist you with this.I may need more information in some cases to help with answering your question.I apologize for any delay.
One common cause for this fault here is a dead or weak vehicle battery.If the battery has not been checked or a battery re charge or jump start attempted you might try this and see if this corrects the fault here.Make sure the key is out of the ignition when the jumper or charger cables are connected.Then once they are connected insert the key and see if ti starts then.If it does then I would have the battery tested to see if it is weak needing replaced.
If the battery is found to be o.k. and is not the cause here the other cause is the key fob/key itself.The electronics fail in it.Even though it may lock and unlock the vehicle properly the electronics inside of it may be keeping the vehicle from starting and a new key will need obtained from a dealer (which usually ships over night) to correct this here.
The other cases which is rare out of the 3 here is the electronic ignition switch itself.This is the component the key inserts into.This would need diagnosed further with a dealers sds machine plugged into your vehicle or a scan tool fully compatible with your vehicle plugged into your vehicle.Once diagnosed it will need replaced by a dealer as the new one has to be set up and programmed by a dealer in order for it to operate properly.
Thanks Pete