Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

I have a 2008 Mercedes Benz S550 and having trouble with vibrations and the car pulls to t

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Mercedes Benz S550 and having trouble with vibrations and the car pulls to the right. I was told it was engine mounts, trany mounts, rims, tires, flex discs. I changed all that and still the car pulls and vibrates. The vibrations is slight in the steering wheel and a lot in the seats. When the car is in neutral and drives down the road it vibrates. Ever since i drove into a pothole at 80mph I have had this problem.vWhat can cause this?
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and i have done five alignments and still the same thing
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing less.sorry for the delay. A situation like this is really hard to help with over the site. I can try. Can we start from the top ?
Tell me What speed the steering wheel shakes at
Does it get worse when the brakes are pressed
Does it get worse when turning.
Did any of the parts help at all that were changed ?
What damage was actually done when you hit the pothole and what wa repaired because of the pothole damage , before the vibrations occurred. I will check back in the morning if that is ok. It is late here in Illinois , have a good night. Lou
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey, most of the shaking is at freeway speeds, it comes in periods in waves like two seconds vibrating and goes away for one second then again two seconds and repeats it all the time. It feels like the whole body of the car vibrates coming from the front and pulses to the rear through the seats. It dosen't shake when i brake but the car vibrates when it want to get to stop like the last 10-15mph before it gets to zero. Nothing have helped, its still the same thing after everything I changed the things I said. There was no damage to the car or anything but the moment i hit that pothole the vibrating started but the car was going straight, after alignment number one the car pulls to the right and vibrates. THX
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it feels like i have to aim where im going with the steering wheel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if i go a bit to the right then maybe it was to much so i have to correct it and go to the left but then it was to much to the left and have to correct it to the right if u know what I mean
I do understand.
Ok after what you said it tells me that the wheel bearing for the side you hit the pothole with was damaged. The car needs to be pun on the rack and the front wheels spinning to watch for the wheel to move meaning if you look at the inside of the rim while the wheel is spinning on the car , if everything was straight the wheel would move nice and in a perfect circle. If the wheel bearing hub was bent the wheel would wobble in and out while
Looking at the wheel from almost a straight on position. And that will also affect the alignment because a out of round part will force the car to that side. As for the alignment, they may have the TOE set to much inboard meaning the wheels are pointing inward. So that will help with steering feel but the offset means that the car will drive like a stock car so if they point the toe out just enough it will give you the nice steering without having to constantly correct it. Hope this information helps Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hey lou, can it be the wheel hub even though it dosen't make any sound while driving?
Absolutely. Especially if the steering wheel is moving at low speeds , tells me that something in the front end is rocking left and right and making the steering wheel move. Hope this information helps