Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

C 240: I have a 2001 benz c 240 when I start it up rpm go to

Customer Question

I have a 2001 benz c 240 when I start it up rpm go to 4000 and when I press the break it drops to normal but when I hit throttle nothing happens
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
From what you have described here this sounds like a fault with the electronic accelerator pedal sensor itself,This sensor sends a signal to the computer on how much throttle is applied.It sounds like it is shorted out possibly and causing this here.The computer will cut down the engine speed when the brake is applied.I would have the fault codes checked in all computers to see what codes are set and diagnosed from there.The pedal sensor value needs checked with a scan tool as well to see if it is faulty.The sensor comes with a new accelerator pedal assembly.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are no codes scanned and when I unplug the pedal it starts up normally and I've bin told to check for vacuum leeks wich I didn't find any and anything else I can try before buying a pedal assembly?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay as I was off line the last few days.
If it starts up normally and the engine idle doesn't race up to 4000 rpm when the pedal is unplugged this usually indicates the pedal sensor itself is at fault and the pedal assembly needs replaced.
If this is not what is occurring here let me know.
Thanks Pete