Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

C240: I have a 01 C240 that is experiencing some intermittent

Customer Question

Hi I have a 01 C240 that is experiencing some intermittent very unusual problems.
It will not cranck ( starter won't turn), and it wont shift out of Park.
I have checked the fuce #52 and it is good, also there is no power woing to that fuse during crank.
Also I pulled a code P0600 and there is an error message on the cluster that says EST problem visit dealer...
One more thing, while driving, when it actually starts, the speedometer sometimes dies and the transmission goes into safe mode.
Pls help
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Additional most likely unrelated symptoms...The radio FM reception is very bad and the CD changer although is connected it displays " no cd changer" when I press the cd button
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
With the faults described here this sounds like the cd changer at fault which is very common needing replaced and the radio antennae cable has a break in it which can also be common.I would have the antennae cable checked for any damage and replaced as needed.
The other main issue above is most common cause by a fault with the electronic shifter assembly itself.It houses electronics for transmission position as well as other electronics and when they fail it can cause this here requiring the shifter assembly to be replaced.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete, I guess you missed the first part of my question that mentions the no crack issue, the cd changer and radio reception I listed as other mos likely unrelated simptoms.
My main problem is that t It will not cranck ( starter won't turn), and it wont shift out of Park. I have checked the fuce #52 and it is good, also there is no power woing to that fuse during crank. Also I pulled a code P0600 and there is an error message on the cluster that says EST problem visit dealer...
One more thing, while driving, when it actually starts, the speedometer sometimes dies and the transmission goes into limp mode.
UPDATE: I was able to get the park release to work by cleaning the TCM connector, it was contaminated with ATF...Still no crank....I can get the car started by providing power to the fuse #52....Pls help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK here is an other UPDATE:I got the CD changer and the radio reception to work by replacing a blown in the rear sam it was a 7.5 AMP....So that leaves me with one main problem the NO CRANK condition...Please remember the P0600 and EST error message, it may not be related to the no crank because the no crank condition is intermittent. If I supply 12V to fuse #52 the car starts right up.