Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

I just got a 1987 Mercedes 190e 2.6. Its stalls when

Customer Question

Hello, I just got a 1987 Mercedes 190e 2.6. Its stalls when cold and always hesitates at about 3000 rpm's on hard acceleration. Back off the pedal and it evens out. A mechanic stated it was a catalytic converter and I changed it out. Still does this, just runs smoother at lower rpm's. I'm think some type or vaccuum leak or valve
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It also has a new fuel filter. When it gets to 3000 rpm's it stutters and stalls and wont shift down, until I back off a little. It's smoother all the up to that point. Also it had died while idling at stop lights, both warmed up and cold.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its supposed to have a new battery and spark plugs from last owner.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
If you have not had the fuel pressure tested this needs done.I have seen in several cases before where low/weak pressure will cause this issue here and require the fuel pump to be replaced.The engine may start and idle or run properly at low speeds but can have this issue at higher speeds causing this here.
If this was already checked and found o.k. let me know so we can continue.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fuel pressure looks. What about the fuel pump relay and or over voltage protection? Vacuum leak?This is an annoying issue to sort out. I'm trying to avoid a tamed goose chase. Along with doing as much laborder i am able.So, is there a step down of procedures to check off to problem?Thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked to see if the over voltage protection relay fuse had blown at all?