Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

500sl: Car got jumped and the gauges aren't working looked

Customer Question

Car got jumped and the gauges aren't working looked can't see any blown fuses what can I check next thanks in advance
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, a jump start can damage the instrument cluster on the early model SL's. Even though the fuses look good they can burn at their tips. Replace fuse 1, 5 and 9 in the fuse box under the hood and see if the gauges work. If you have no luck you will need to have the instrument cluster replaced or repaired.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Marty
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm just following up with you on the Mercedes. Was my answer helpful? Please let me know.
Marty
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure yet but if the cluster is bad would that effect the power Antena and the interior lights? Thanks in advance
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
No the cluster won't affect those items but bad fuses would. You should replace the fuses I mentioned and inspect all of the fuses for poor connections. The German fuses are notorious for making poor contact at their tips.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Replaced two clusters still cluster doesn't respond what can I try next thanks
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, can you tell me specifically what does and what doesn't work in the instrument cluster? Did all of the used clusters you tried act the same way?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only the clock and temp it is I believe the last cluster that went in was a digital it didn't work either and yes they all just blinked once
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any kind of reset that needs to happen I have read that discounecting the battery negative and using a jumper from the positive to the disconnected negative resets some electrical issues thoughts please
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
No there is nothing to reset on this model. This car is too old for that. Did you ever replace the fuses in the front and rear fuse boxes as I suggested?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes got new fuses from the mercedes dealer I only replaced the fuses 1 5 9 in the main under the hood those are the only ones you told me to replace the trunk fuses look good but none of them affect the cluster as I undstand
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
If the three fuses have battery voltage with the key on the problem would still have to be the instrument cluster. Are you sure that the clusters you installed were known to be working clusters? It sounds like they may have all been defective. Test the three fuses with a test light or a voltmeter and verify that they are getting 12 volts with the key on.