Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

We are trying to set up the IP and valve timing on a 1981

Customer Question

We are trying to set up the IP and valve timing on a 1981 240D. We can't locate where all the timing marks are and our goal is to install a new timing chain. We don't know what order to do everything in or is the idea to ensure all the timing marks are
lined up after the chain is installed and adjusted.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, what condition is the motor in right now? Is everything still installed and the engine is running or is it already apart?
Marty
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just reinstalled the head after a valve job. Most of the stuff on the front of the engine has been removed, including the radiator.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The injectors are installed. I never touched the IP
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Ok, have you already set the cam timing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, we set the cam timing I am 95% sure it isn't 180 degrees out but I wish I some guidance on how to confirm it.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
As long as you set the crank at TDC before you pulled the head and as long as you installed the head with the timing ***** *****ned up at the cam tower you should be fine. If you never turned the motor while the head was off the pump timing will still be fine. I can send the workshop procedure for setting the cam timing and the pump timing to your email. There is an additional service fee for the workshop instructions. I've sent the additional service agreement if you would like me to do that. I can also continue to help you here if you need further explanation.
Marty
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about my original question? I asked where to find the various timing marks so I can set and verify my IP and valve timing, Is the answer that I need to spend another $18?
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
There is a pointer on the front of the block and the crank pulley is marked. Line the pointer up with the O|T mark on the pulley. You should have done this before you even pulled the head. On your camshaft there is a notch in the washer behind the cam gear. You line the notch up with the raised timing mark on the front cam tower. I've attached a picture below. For your injection pump there are no visible marks. The pump needs to be removed to set the pump timing. That's why it's critical that you set the motor at TDC prior to taking the head off. If you did that then your pump timing is still fine.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/q9u964e729w2e4d/80999311.jpg