Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

CLS 500: I have a 2006 CLS Benz it has 42,000 miles on it.

Customer Question

I have a 2006 CLS Benz it has 42,000 miles on it. I took it in fo the annual checkup and was told by the service advisor that I needed spark plugs and that the spark plugs should be changed every 5 years. The cost according to him for the plugs are $600.00. Please advise I am having a hard time believing any of this.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** does recommend spark plug replacement every 5 years regardless of mileage. I personally tend to stretch the time frame on lower mileage cars and replace them at 60,000 miles. Spark plugs for the CLS 500 are $7.75 each. You will need 16 spark plugs (2 per cylinder) for a total of $124. The labor allowance to replace all 16 spark plugs is 3 hours. Depending on the local labor rate the cost could reach $600. The decision you need to make is whether to replace them now or wait until 60,000 miles. In my opinion there is no harm in doing so.
Let me know if you have any questions. Please be sure to rate my service when you are done.
Marty
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm just following up with you on the Mercedes. Was my answer helpful? Please let me know.
Marty