Hipo64
Hipo64, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Work and diagnose electronics on daily basis.
41577536

E320: I have a 2007 e320 bluetech. It threw the P2015 code

Customer Question

I have a 2007 e320 bluetech. It threw the P2015 code a week ago. I bypassed the sensor with a resistor for now, but don't have it back together yet. With the intake apart I noticed it is blowing oil out the PCV hose. I drove it around the block and now it is really sputtering and blowing oil. Is the crank case supposed to be under that much pressure. With the sensor off is it trying to increase the pressure someplace. Or did I suddenly develop a piston leak?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
The first thing to check here is to make sure the engine oil isn't over full at all.If the engine oil is over full this can cause this fault here.If this is checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue from here.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I still need help the car is stuck on the side of the road right now. Oil level appears to be fine. It is pretty black and it does need to be changed. There seems to be a lot of air coming out of the PCV valve. I read that this is a force system and it is fairly common to get a lot of oil through that tube. I'm wondering if I need to replace that pressure control valve. Or is that valve just basically an orifice? Basically all I've done to the car is to take the inlet manifold off so that is pulling air straight into the turbo.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay.
Is there another code number that came up with the P2015 as my info isn't showing the P2015 for this model.Is this the rail pressure sensor?
Let me know,thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

P2015 - Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit Range/Performance Bank 1

Read more: http://engine-codes.com/p2015.html#ixzz3bSlFqdTM

It typically is the swirl motor which sets the position of the intake swirl blades to create turbulence when the motor is at low RPM. There is a cheat on the MB site to just put a resister in line to fool the computer itto thinking it is in range. The vains don't really do much and gas mileage isn't effected. So I put in the resistor.

From what I can tell not having the intake on there is causing the system to try to pressureize the intake through the PCV line. I'm not sure how, but that is what I've been told. I don't have details on the crankcase vent system, but it must get pressurized somewhere. Usually they dump off into the intake because it is under vacuum and it pulls gases out of the crankcase. On this system it is blowing.

I'm hopefull that when I get the new gasket for the turbo inlet and teh system seals that the car will run again.

Anyone have info on the crankcase vent system on this 2007 e320?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I don't have the description of the vent (PCV) system on this model here.I suspect once the engine is back together and operating properly (as long as the bypass you did doesn't affect the running) the engine will operate normally.
If you want I can open your question up for someone else here to see if anyone else can assist further just let me know if this is something you want to do.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So bad has gone to worse. So yes if you know anyone who knows diesels (blue tech MB). I needed to move it off the street, so I put in a make shift gasket in the turbo inlet. The crank case built so much pressure oil came out the dip stick and blew the fill cap off.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
O.k.,I will see if anyone else here can assist more on this.
I will have to open this question up for others here to see if they can assist further on this as someone else here may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's my theory. The turbo seal has gone out and it is blowing exhaust into the oil line. That is where the pressure is coming from.
Expert:  Hipo64 replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** perhaps I can help with your question.
Turbo cannot cause engine crank case excessive blow-by. it is only worn piston rings or cracked piston. If engine is running fine but has high mileage then it is only work piston rings. However this engine does have quite a pressure in the crankcase and it is vented back into intake, at the end of the hose which is connected to right rear Cylinder head is placed plastic canister(oil catch ca) which will trap oil and drain it back into engine. If this engine has significant sludge buildup, then remove both valve covers to clean, replace hose with canister and your problem should be solved.
Regards Pavlin!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

2007 has the OM642. It does not have the oil separator. That was the 2006 and earlier I6. This is the V6 3.0l. The vent feeds into the side of the plastic tube that feeds the turbo about 3 inches from the turbo. It is a comon obsetvation that some oil gets sucked into the turbo, but mine is blowing oil mist out 8 feet and getting it all over the engine. It finally blew the dipstick out of the holder. Car was running great before this came on very quickly.

I took the turbo off (royal pain in the back side). The intake side seems to be bad. There is over 1/4" of play when I attempt to wiggle it. Discharge of the intake side has significant oil (read it poured out) in it. I don't see any oil down in the tubes that feed the turbo. Not certain that this is the cause of the pressure in the crankcase, but I will need to get the turbo rebuilt.

Expert:  Hipo64 replied 1 year ago.
Hi, yes I know this is v6 engine , vent pipe it attached to rear of right head. Plastic piece is attached to head.Small play in turbo shaft is normal.Enormous pressure in crankcase is the reason for the oil at turbo inlet. Blow by that bad are caused by bad rings or a piston gone bad.
If you remove turbo, you can send it to a rebuilder to be tested.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. I did take the turbo off and will be taking it to a rebuilder. We'll see what they say about that one. I know high crank pressure usually is excessive blow by from the pistons. It just seems odd that this would come on so quickly, but maybe the ring just went.

Expert:  Hipo64 replied 1 year ago.
It is hard to say without talking it apart or having vehicle in hand for testing. You can run a compression test and compare readings. Should not have more than 30 psi difference between highest and lower one,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll have to send it to someone to do that. I don't really have the tools (which I could buy), but I don't know how to do that with a diesel. Take out the glow plug? I think that's really difficult to get at them. True?

Car isn't running. It's sitting in the driveway. I'd have to have it towed, so I might be incentivized to do that myself if it's not super difficult (I did take the turbo off myself).

Expert:  Hipo64 replied 1 year ago.
To remove glow plugs is not hard. But you need diesel compression tester kit. Which mid about 500 dollars I would estimate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

uhg. Will someone within 100 miles of me have that? There is an import guy in Eau Claire. Or there is a VW dealer. They would have a diesel mechanic. I'm assuming that a VW test would be the same as the Mercedes for compression.

Assuming I can find someone to do it, are piston rings as bad as I think they are......Like $2500.00??

Expert:  Hipo64 replied 1 year ago.
Any diesel specialist will have it, this job is around 40hrs .
you can call local dealer for parts cost.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wonderful. Know anyone who wants to buy a car cheep? 40 hours x $150/hour is $6000.

I paid $9000 for it.

Guess I'm stuck.

Expert:  Hipo64 replied 1 year ago.
Average price at independent shop is around 80 dollars per hour.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can't find anyone within 50 miles that will work on it. My normal mechanic is $95. All that is not relevant when I can't find anyone to do the work.

So here's what I've learned now. I took Turbo off the car and took it to a place that rebuilds turbos for fleets. They have done the bluetec sprinters. I looked at the inlet before my wife took it down. The turbine was loose,, so I thought that was a problem. They noted that the exhaust side is very tight and it does not turn the intake side. So I covered over the exhaust ports and put some air on the oil in/out ports. Air blows out the exhaust side. so there is a significant leak from the exhaust side to the oil line.

So there is a possibility it is not the piston rings. Only wish I could start the car and see if it still blows out the vent line without the turbo hooked up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hippo64, you've been helpful. I know it's really a tough one to troubleshoot and doing it remote make this almost impossible.

Expert:  Hipo64 replied 1 year ago.
I have never seen it, but sounds like you found it. If you close turbo oil supply, then you should be able to start engine and it should show right away.