Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

I just changed the primary and secondary fuel filter on my

Customer Question

I just changed the primary and secondary fuel filter on my mercedes turbodiesel 123 series 1983 and the car wont start.The car was running perfectly before.what did I do wrong?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi,my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to try to assist you with this.I may need more information in some cases to help with answering your question.
If the filters were not filled with diesel this will cause this here as there isn't enough fuel in the system to start the engine when left empty when they are installed,especially the main fuel filter.
In some cases I have also used ATF to fill the filters to allow the engine to start and this won't hurt anything doing this as the engine will start off of ATF in the filters.
Make sure the filters are sealed properly and that no leaks are found as the injection pump can suck air and fuel if there are any leaks including any minor leaks.
If these are all o.k. here let me know.
Thanks Pete