Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

GL 450: The back liftgate on my 2009 450 is not lifting or

Customer Question

The back liftgate on my 2009 450 is not lifting or closing on its own. I hear the motor run... it will latch and unlatch but the hydrolics don't seem to work
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing less. What kind of information are you looking for ? I can absolutely help but I don't want to give you information you are not interested in. Let me know. Lou
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lou,
The back tailgate will not lift with the power assist. It will unlatch you can then hear the motor run but the hydraulics do not lift it. I had it detailed at a shop and they closed the door manually. Since then I can't get the power lift to work. Like I said it unlatches and will suck the door back in and lock it but it will not lift. I put the door up manually and hit the button but nothing happens. Is there a reset or a quick fix?
You can try this , pop the hatch with the handle, open it all the way up until it won't go any higher , then press and hold the close button on the hatch until the car beeps at you. Do this whole the car is running , after it beeps (if it does ) the. Press the close button again and it should close (hopefully).
That is a weird scenario because there is nothing they really could have done unless they shampooed anything then they may have gotten the module wet. The module is on the left side of the cargo area behind the panelling it has only a few connections so if that doesn't work what I suggested try unplugging and reconnecting the module and then trying the hatch. Let me know if this helps. If not I can see what else we can try before having it taken for diagnosis. Lou
fuse 40 in the right rear fuse box is the fuse for the module, so check the fuse and pull it out for a minute to see if it resets the module, also with the lights on and the taillgate open does the switch light up ?? the switch on the hatch that is for closing, the button i mean? if you try all that i have suggested and still no go then it will have to be brought in for diagnosis, not really sure what the guys could've done, its ok to manually move the hatch down, unless the battery died while they were cleaning the car and the hatch was open, then relearning it may work, which is what you are doing by pressing the buttons like i mentioned. hope this information helps. without knowing what the module is seeing or not seeing i don't feel comfortable suggesting any parts be replaced until it is checked with a scan tool and i think the dealer is the only place that can read the rear door control module,. please dont take the frustration that the vehicle is giving you out on my rating, lol,. i am only trying to help. Lou. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉
hello, checking back to see if you needed any more information, let me know if i can be of any help.