Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

My air suspension on the driver's side has dropped (front

Customer Question

My air suspension on the driver's side has dropped (front and rear). Passenger side normal. Any thoughts on the cause?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, the fault will be a leak in either the front suspension strut or the rear air spring. Chances are it won't be both leaking it will probably be just one. When the front falls it makes the rear look low and when the rear falls it makes the front look low. It's possible that you have leaks in both the front and rear but chances are it's just one leak.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Marty
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No...definitely a drop on both front and rear to the point of that side looking "slammed".
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Well then you might have a leak in the front strut and the rear air spring. Will the car raise up when you start the car?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Indicates so, but not visibly from the exterior on the driver's side.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
It must be a pretty large leak. If you show that the car is rising on the display but nothing is happening you can try listening at the front and rear for air escaping as the air compressor tries to fill the system. Rarely will this be anything other than a leak in a strut or a rear air spring. I'm assuming that no work has recently been done to the air suspension.
Marty
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct. Nothing has been done to the suspension.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Ok, then you will need to have the front and rear checked for leakage. It's possible that the front fell first and the rear followed. If the car will not raise you will need to have it towed if you are getting the STOP CAR TOO LOW message.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got that figured out yesterday. Actually jacked the car up on the left front...started the car...let the jack down and watched the compressor engage, yet the car kept going down once the fender would get to the height of the tire. I jacked the car up while the compressor was running and heard whistling with air escaping. Clearly the bladder burst. Left rear ok. Trying to figure out how it happened.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
The struts and air springs just leak from old age and fatigue. This is the common manner in which they fail.