Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

SL500 CONV.: I have a !995 Mercedes 500 SL convertible. I have

Customer Question

I have a !995 Mercedes 500 SL convertible. I have a problem when you did it it runs fine you shut the engine off and when you try to rstart it puts through the exhust. If it sits 30min. its starts right up again but misses and kills at stop. I have replaced maf and crank sensor with no sugcess can you help? Could it possibly be catalic convter?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this doesn't sound like a bad catalytic converter this sounds more like bad distributor caps and rotors or possibly a problem with the fuel system losing fuel pressure when the car is turned off. If you only experience the poor running when you try to restart the motor when it is hot I'd get a fuel pressure test performed to see if the system loses pressure when you turn the motor off. If it does you may have a bad fuel pump check valve or a bad fuel pressure regulator. Your description of the problem sounds more like bad distributor caps and rotors since it misfires and dies.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Marty