FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE DIESEL/AUTOMOTIVE
1627031

I have a 2012 ML 350 Bluetec. I just came home and parked it

Customer Question

I have a 2012 ML 350 Bluetec. I just came home and parked it in the garage. Suddenly, it started a 2 or 3 second beep, coming from under the hood, every 30 seconds approximately. I'm going to take it in to the dealer on Tuesday, but wondered what it might be.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** for the question. If I am not online when you return please give me some time to get back to you. Can you tell me if you attempted to start it after you heard this beeping?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have started it and driven around, returned to the house. We looked under the hood and tried to hear where it was coming from. I read in the manual that "some" of the system message alerts would be accompanied by a intermitten beeping once the car was off, but did not say which one. I haven't gotten an alert yet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Exact wording from the manual, "Certain display messages are accompanied by an audible warning tone or a continuous tone".
I Googled the issue and several had written in with the same problem, saying their car was still in the garage beeping but no display message. Of course, none of them wrote in to say what the remedy was once they went to their mechanic.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. You need to start by having the battery tested. If the battery is failing or low then this will occur. I would start there. If the battery is fine let me know and we can continue. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I won't know for a few days due to the holiday. Why doesn't it show up in the display message that the battery is low?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
It depends on how low it is. If it still has enough to start then it will not always show, but if the voltage is low when it is turned off this can occur.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why isn't there a low battery message on my display? I don't understand that. Tomorrow is a holiday and the soonest I can take it into the dealer is Tuesday morning
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just realized you answered my question. I will hopefully be able to start it in the morning. I'm assuming if it is on, it will stay a bit more charged?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We just discovered that the beeping was the back up battery for our garage door opener. When the car was in there, it sounded like it was coming from the car! So the car is fine. Thanks for trying to help.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for getting back with me. So the beeping was actually not coming from under the hood? This is good news as you should have an easier, and less expensive time fixing the garage door opener. If you end up needing any help in the future please let me know. Thank you.