Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

2001 mercedes benz s430 i had trouble code p0305 a misfire

Customer Question

2001 mercedes benz s430 i had trouble code p0305 a misfire for cylinder 5 found out it was the fuel injector so i changed it then when i started up the car fuel was leaking out a different injector which the seal was bad so i changed it put ot back in now the car won't start and i can't find the inertia switch.
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Video Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** is no such thing as an inertia switch on the Mercedes. What is the car doing? Does the motor crank but not start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well after that leaked that I fixed from the fuel injector it did not start again. Yes it cranks but no start.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to test for spark or fuel pressure? Do you have 12 volts to one of the wires at the coils and the injectors with the key on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I check the spark plugsome and coils no spark but getting fuel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I have fuel pressure
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
If you have fuel pressure but no spark you should test for power to the coils. If you have no power check fuse 49 in the driver's side fuse box under the hood. If you do have power to the coils but you have no spark I'd check the connector to the crankshaft position sensor. The sensor is located behind the driver's side cylinder head directly above the flywheel. If the connector has been disturbed or if the sensor coincidentally failed you will have no spark.
Let me know what you find.
Marty
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it was the crank sensor but now it's still saying cylinder 5 misfire and I changed the fuel injector on cylinder 5 , spark plug wires, coil and spark plug and still says misfire cylinder 5.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Great! Glad you got it running. Does the engine feel like it's running rough at idle? What scan tool are you using? How are you erasing the fault code?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have an obd2 scan tool from advance autoparts. And yes when it starts up rough idling and I erased the code it clears but as soon as u start up the car idles rough a
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
If you have replaced the spark plugs, wires, coil and injector and you still have a misfire I'd run a compression test on the motor and see if cylinder 5 has low compression. Also double check your spark plugs and make sure you didn't damage one upon installation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would I check the compression
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
You need to pull the upper spark plugs and borrow a compression gauge from the parts store. Screw the gauge into each cylinder and crank the motor about 7 revolutions for each cylinder and read the pressure on the gauge. All cylinders should be within 10% of each other.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can we video chat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay I check coil number 5 on cylinder 5 A is not firing B is firing on the coil I swapped out coils and its the same thing A is not firing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cylinder 5 has no compression
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm unable to call you over the holiday weekend but I can call you on Tuesday.
How did you perform the compression test? You need to leave one of the two spark plugs in the head and screw the compression gauge into the other hole.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has compression the computer is not sending a signal to the coil#5
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like either a fault with the with the wiring to the coil or a fault with the ECU itself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's the ecu
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
I'd contact Beckmann Technologies and see if they can repair it for you. Copy and paste the link below for their contact info.
http://www.beckmanntechnologies.com/contact.aspx
Let me know if you need anything else. Please don't forget to rate my service so I can receive credit for my help.
Marty
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm just following up with you on the Mercedes. Was the information I provided helpful?
Marty