Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a 2002 ML320 with a code B1703-002. Can you please

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 2002 ML320 with a code B1703-002. Can you please tell me the procedure for diagnose that? Thanks.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, sorry for the long wait on this question. To diagnose a B1703 code you need a factory level scan tool to check the status of the drive authorization system. Common problems are a faulty key or a faulty DAS control module. If you have a second key you should try that first. You can check the status of the key by observing the red LED to the left of the radio. The LED should blink when you turn the key indicating that the key is being accepted. If the LED does not blink you need to try another key. If the LED does blink then you will probably need to replace the DAS control module. You might have some success resetting the system by disconnecting the negative battery cable for 24 hours. The key is read by the transponder around the ignition switch which sends a signal to the DAS control module which sends a signal to the Extended Activity module. Possible faults are the key, transponder, DAS control module or the Extended Activity module.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Marty