Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

560SL: well I have a 560sl and last Sunday when the engine

Customer Question

well I have a 560sl and last Sunday when the engine was hot it stalled while coming to a stop for a red traffic light
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** you been able to restart the car since it stalled?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes - after stalling it needed a minute but then started - I kept the RPM high to prevent it from stalling and made it home

Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, will it stay running on it's own now or does it keep stalling?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it's running on it's own

Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, there are a couple of common problems that will cause this on the SL. The most common would be a bad fuel pump relay. When the relay malfunctions it causes the car to stall at idle. The next most common would be a bad ignition control module. When the module fails it causes a sudden loss of spark and will cause the car to die at any speed. I'd be leaning more towards a bad fuel pump relay but you might have a fault with the ignition module. To test this you would need to see if the fuel pumps are running when a helper cranks the motor and the car will not start. If they are not running you will need to replace the fuel pump relay. If they are running a test for ignition spark will need to be performed to see if there is spark coming from the ignition coil. If there is no spark you will most likely need to replace the ignition control module or possibly the crankshaft position sensor. The sensor does not go bad as often as the module.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty