Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

I have a problem with my low-beam on a 2003 SL500. I have read

Customer Question

I have a problem with my low-beam on a 2003 SL500. I have read your post, replaced both the igniter and the ballast, and still have the problem. At idle, the buld will stay on forever. as soon as i hit the gas, it cycles off and on and then gets shut down
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
From what is described with the ballast and the ignitors replaced and with the lighting issue occurring here this sounds like the common fault of the drivers side SAM control module itself.This computer/SAM controls the signals to light up the lights through the ignitor and ballast and when it fails this issue here occurs.I have had to replace this SAM before for this fault here.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Pete, is the driver side SAM module under the hood in the fuse box on the driver's side? or in the glove box? After reading your post I was reminded that the lights that light up the seat controls/ window and door lock switches on both doors also come in and out intermittently, this would give much credit to your answer if they are in the same module. perhaps a bad earth ground to that module. Thank you
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome.The drivers side SAM is located under the hood on the drivers side near the brake master cylinder/brake fluid reservoir as seen below.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vt2s6yyidjo2dnp/sam-05-27.gif?dl=0
Thanks Pete