MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes
15777119

Cl 500: Changed amplifier and head unit in 2001 cl500. Still

Customer Question

Changed amplifier and head unit in 2001 cl500. Still low sound and playing on the left side only but cracking also .Not playing at all on the fight side.we changed the speakers on the doors the hiighs and mid range. i thought the problem at first was the factory speakers werenold thats wht they were getting low and also jot playing on the right side.the speakers were alpine.Not bose.i don't think thats the issue . Where i purchased them from said it was ok. Need help
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing less. First thanks for requesting me. I will do my best to help.
So did you replace the factory amp with a new or used amp? And when you changed it did it help anything or change it better or worse?
And as far as your aftermarket amp and sub, had that been fixed ? Did your audio issue happen after the amp and sub install ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We tried three different factory amps. No not new. The sub and amp was replaced the next day with new wiring from the new amp.to the sub.They are not the people who wire the car for the amp and sub. They only replaced the sub and amp.Also i bought a different head unit same issue no sound from right at all.To a certain degree it seem like the system stared going down after the alpine amp and sub caught on fire.Also my right window wad cracked a little water got down on the right side. But was still playing.

Ok so can you try this if not already.
Use the balance and fade and set the radio to all individual corners around the car and distinguish what does and does not work. ?
Also does it matter if you use cd or radio ? Or aux if you have it installed ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We done all that. Could a wire be damaged or the wire harness

It could. But for me to help I need to know what you know. Then I can give you things to check and test. I am very good at diagnosi but I need as much info as possible. You are my eyes and ears and my answer is only as good as the info you provide. I promise I am not here to waste your time. So is it the front and rear that play low ? I need to know every speaker that does not function. I can give you wiring to test
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Only play on driver side no sound on the passenger sound.When you fade it all the way to the left very low low sound from left l mean low.when all the buttons are balanced only still sound from left side driver and static as well. Very low volume when turn up head unit sub amp and speaker still play normal. Not affected.all functions on head unit operate and turn n off and on. Just sound issues not visual. Thats the best i can put it.

That is good info. Thanks. Ok it may be a fractured fiber optic line. Do you know what the fiber optic lines look like ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I sent my best diagnosis

No you did great. The fiber optics are the orange hard lines that go into the amplifier. Try gently flexing them while the radio is on to see if the sound improved. Where did the shop tap into the radio wiring for the sub and amp you speak of ?