Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I currently have the ignition switch removed and am trying

Customer Question

I currently have the ignition switch removed and am trying to remove the steering lock. It currently will not rotate back to the #1 position to remove the locking bolt, and will only go from #2 to #3 however the steering wheel is still locked. How do you
recommend I proceed?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi Willie, I sent you an email earlier.
Hi Willie, I got your email earlier I just haven't had a chance to reply. There is no easy answer when this happens. You will need to destroy the steering lock to remove the locking bolt. We usually cut most of the lock away with a mini sawzall then work on cutting the bolt out. It makes quite a mess. I've seen some stuff on the web where some guys drill the side of the lock and work the mechanism backwards. I've attached a link below.
http://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w210/418979-96-e320-steering-wheel-locked-please-help.html
Let me know how it goes.
Marty