Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

S430: Stan. I having a terrible time with my low beams

Customer Question

Hi Stan. I having a terrible time with my low beams L & R. The computer on the dash is telling me to check both. Neither of them light. The fog lamps work when I exit the car and the high beams work, but no low beams. I replaced with H7 lamps L & R but still nothing. I have a 2002 S430. How many lamps are there in one unit? I only see two. Fog and the H7 bulb. Am I missing a bulb in there? I thought of the SAM unit, but doesn't the right front SAM control the left low beam and the left SAM control the right? If that's true, how could both SAMs go bad at the same time? I'm lost.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** your Mercedes has the Xenon headlamp system you have replaced the wrong bulbs. If your car has the non Xenon headlamp system you may have still replaced the wrong bulbs. The Xenon system uses an HID bulb for the low beams and the H7's for the high beams. The non Xenon system uses 4 H7 bulbs. If you send me your vin number I can tell you which system you have.
Marty
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm just following up with you on the Mercedes. Was my answer helpful?
Marty