Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Clk: Radiator fans knocking on 1999 Mercedes clk 430 only 35000

Customer Question

Radiator fans knocking on 1999 Mercedes clk 430 only 35000 miles on car. Every couple minutes you hear them knocking
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, that's an unusual symptom for the fans. Can you give me more of an explanation? Are the fans running as they should and occasionally make a knocking sound?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they are stuck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Start to move then clunk
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I would check to see if the blades are hitting something. If there is nothing impeding the movement of the fan blades I'd have to say that one of the fans has gone bad. If both fans act the same way I'd check closely to see if they are hitting something. You should be able to turn the car off and rotate each fan freely by hand.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't move them. Could someone have hit my front bumper in parking lot but there are no marks I see no damage
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
That's what I was thinking. I'm wondering if they were pushed into the a/c condenser. Maybe you could try pulling the fans and bracket away from the condenser and see if they will turn.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm just following up with you on the Mercedes. Was my answer helpful?
Marty