Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

GL320 CDI: can u answer question about trailer hitch on gl320.

Customer Question

can u answer question about trailer hitch on gl320. i tried using the trailer connector 7pin. but the lights dont work. i m getting power because i checked it and only one pin is getting power. but as i try applying brakes or signals i dont get any connection ( ie. they dont work)
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I searched online. would a computer reflashing would help the SAM to send signal for brakes, signal and reverse light. Because i dont see that my SAM is Faulty because SAM controls alot of stuff, and everything else is in working order. I took off the bumper checked the connection and the fuse, all seemed fine. would the relay be a problem. thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i attached the file, and i m getting power only on pin 4. but not anything else. ANd i literally hooked a trailer too and still didnt work.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
Your trailer light setup usually won't send signals until you have an actual trailer attached.The rear SAM control module controls these lights and if it doesn't see signals on each of the terminals from a trailer plugged in it won't send signals out of the trailer plug so when it is tested it will show that some of the signals are not present.Now if this was checked with a trailer plugged in this can be the rear sam itself at fault needing either reprogrammed with a dealers sds machine or replaced to correct this here.
If your plugging in an LED lighted trailer you will need an adapter to use in line with the vehicle and trailer wiring as Mercedes doesn't fully support LED lighted trailers.
Thanks Pete