Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

S500: I have codes p0500 p0715 p0720 on my 2000 s500 and I

Customer Question

I have codes p0500 p0715 p0720 on my 2000 s500 and I have already replaced the elec. cond. plate with a new one and I also replaced the adapter for the connector plug AND changed the TCM under the hood. Why am I still in limp mode?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is***** need to erase the fault codes in order to get the transmission out of limp home mode. Have you done that already?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shouldn't the codes have been removed when I put in a different tcm?
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
The original codes wouldn't necessarily be there but you still need to read and erase the codes in the used TCM after you install it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dealership want $300+ to clear the codes and I just don't have the money. I just lost my job and I do all the work on my car myself, how am I supposed to get another job when I can't drive my car? Isn't there another way I can reset the codes?
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
The only way to erase the codes is with a Mercedes compatible scan tool. $300 is way too much to scan and erase fault codes. Most independent shops will do this for between 1/2 - 1 hour labor charge.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you please give me a list of compatible scan tools?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What if I change out the ecu for one I have that was in a '02 s500? Then would the codes be gone?
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Some of the most common are Autologic, Snap on, Autel and Launch. Copy and paste the link below into your browser for the Bosch Car Service Center locater. Enter your vehicle make, zip code and a search radius and you can probably find a shop in your area that can scan and erase the codes in the ECM and the TCM. As long as the TCM is a matching part number it would work but you will still need to erase the codes in the ECM.
http://www.boschcarservice.us/Pages/ForYourVehicle.aspx