Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

SLK230: 2004 SLK230, my roof will fold down, but the button

Customer Question

2004 SLK230, my roof will fold down, but the button stays red like it isn't all the way down and if I start to drive, the alarm telling me the roof is not all the way down sounds off and the light flashes.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Do the side windows come up after the roof opens?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The side windows do not come up after the roof opens. The windows otherwise work fine.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Ok, When you close the roof, do all of the windows raise if you continue to hold the roof switch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Ok, the reason you get the warning is because one of the micro switches is reporting incorrectly. The only two that I see that would cause the problem while the roof is down but not while the roof is up are the S69/1 and the S69/11 micro-switches. Each switch needs to be checked to see if it opening and closing properly. Copy and paste the link below into your browser for the location of the two switches. The S69/11 is the switch that senses whether the top has dropped into the storage area. I'd check that one first.
Let me know if you have any questions. Please be sure to rate my service in order for the website to credit me for my help. If you have trouble with the ratings you can just reply back and let me know if you are satisfied with my help.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/tpqgxxag9qp882h/Vario_roof_(VR),_location_of_electric_components.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Haven't forgotten about you. Just going to finish the repair before I give you your five stars.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the update.
Marty
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, just following up with you on the SLK. Did you ever get the roof squared away?
Marty
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Again... Haven't forgotten you. I am waiting on the part. Seems it is not a part that the dealerships carry any stock of.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
No problem at all. I'll wait to hear from you.
Marty