Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a 2002 Mercedes S55 AMG and the battery went dead. I

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Mercedes S55 AMG and the battery went dead. I replaced the battery myself, and now the car will not start. The lights and power all come on but the car is not turning over
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, sorry for the wait. My name is***** you give me some background on this problem? Was the car starting fine prior to the battery being replaced? Did anything go wrong during the replacement of the battery?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No nothing wrong prior to the replacement. Vehicle always started. Now all electronics work, but will not turn over. The car was sitting for 6 months at our second residence. Battery was dead, and we replaced it, no it will not start or turnover.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
If the car has sat for 6 months it's possible that the starter has failed. A voltage test needs to be performed to see if voltage is getting to the starter solenoid when the key is turned to the start position. If there is voltage to the solenoid you simply have a bad starter motor. If there is no voltage to the starter solenoid the starter relay may be at fault or there may be no signal from the transmission control module telling the ECM that the transmission is in park or neutral. You can try moving the shifter back and forth and see if that helps.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Marty
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have read elsewhere that it could be the SAM
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
No the SAM is not likely to be the problem for no starter operation. It's more likely to be a fault with the transmission park recognition switch or with the transmission control unit or with the starter or starter relay. The transmission control unit tells the engine control unit that the transmission is in park and the engine control module energizes the starter relay.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you in Florida. Did you read the fact that I replaced the battery, and that was a common problem (SAM) when that happened on the 2000 to 2006 models.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why would the starter fail from changing the battery?
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Yes I am in Florida. Changing the battery has nothing to do with the problem. As long as no wires were shorted when the battery was installed the no start is unrelated to the battery replacement. It's very common for the SAM's to give trouble but not so common for no starter operation when everything else in the car works.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where at in Florida. I will bring you the car
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
I'm in Clearwater. Are you nearby?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are the starter relay fuse numbers. Sorry I got called out of town for 2 weeks. There is not power to the starter solenoid.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
There are no fuses directly related to the starter. The starter relay is located in the right side fuse and relay box under the hood. The starter relay is the green relay located in the box. The first test is to remove the relay and see if there is 12 volts going to the relay on terminal 30 in the box with the key on. If you have 12 volts to terminal 30 you can bypass the relay to test the starter by jumping from terminal 30 over to terminal 87 with a fused jumper and see if the car starts. Make sure the car is in park and the parking brake is applied or have a helper in the car applying the foot brake when you do this test.