Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

E320: M E 320 , why does it hesitate when stepping

Customer Question

For 2001 M B E 320 , why does it hesitate when stepping on gas pedal? It is totally random and intermittent and also does the same thing in a C230 and C240. I never had such a problem in 2 '91 300es.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. It's hard to say what the problem is when it is intermittent and there is no check engine light. I can tell you that the most common cause of a hesitation on acceleration on these models is a faulty mass air flow sensor. It's possible that the sensor is going bad but has not yet stored a fault code. If you wanted to perform some maintenance I would recommend an induction system service to clean the throttle body and intake system and I would have the mass air flow sensor cleaned. If you continue to experience the problem I would substitute a known good mass air flow sensor.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Marty