Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

MikeI have a 2011 SL 550 I recently purchased. My interior

Customer Question

Hi Mike
I have a 2011 SL 550 I recently purchased. My interior although spotlessly clean sometimes smells like oil, hydraulic fluid or something similar. It is worse when the top is down. Thoughts?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
From what you have described here this sounds like one of the retractable roof hydraulic components is leaking and the smell is making it into the interior of the vehicle.
The hydraulic lines and components for the roof system need inspected to locate the source of the leak.Once located the leak can be repaired with the affected component being replaced.On some models it is the over head latches at the top of the windshield that will leak and cause this here needing replaced.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete. From what I have read online some people refer to the smell as that of a box of crayola crayons which is a good description of what I am smelling
Some reference the sound dampening material Mercedes used as the source of the problem
Any experience with that explanation?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
It may be the sound deadening material as I have seen this smell as well and usually this does go away on its own after time but being a 2011 model the smell from this material should be gone by now.It would be a good idea to have the vehicle checked over to see if any hydraulic leaks are found needing repaired and to pinpoint the source of the smell to see if a component can be cleaned or replaced to correct this.
Thanks Pete
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete