Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

SL500: I just installed new fuel pump and new battery. Car

Customer Question

I just installed new fuel pump and new battery. Car starts immediately but just as quick it cuts of. it will not stay running. Since I changed the battery I can not get any code readings. Now it been sitting all windor. Hell me out. No bullshit please. I have used this service many times but have never got anyone who really seems to know that they are not really a Mercedes specialist. There answer,s come straight out of a manual.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, a start and die problem usually indicates a bad key. If the key is bad the drive authorization system will not allow fuel injection. You can try using starting spray and see if you can keep the car running on the spray. If you can it indicates that there is either no fuel pressure or no injector pulse. If you have no injector pulse I'd try a new key. If you have another key and it still starts and dies you will need to check the fuel pressure and test for injector pulse. You might even have a bad ignition switch.