FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE DIESEL/AUTOMOTIVE
1627031

I have a 2001 C230 automatic with 76K. Car runs well but there

Customer Question

I have a 2001 C230 automatic with 76K. Car runs well but there is a soft clicking noise when I gently accelerate or when I take my foot off the pedal.....making the noise again when I put foot on gas. Doesnt appear to affect performance etc......just very irritating!!.......Mike
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** for the question. If I am not online when you return please give me some time to get back to you. Can you tell me if this came on all of a sudden or gradually? Does it change at all as the engine warms up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Owned the car for about six weeks. When in drive, the soft clicking/whirring noise just lasts for a couple seconds every time you put your foot on the gas pedal and again when you take it off. If footis on gas it doesnt happen if you put foot further down. Only whn you take it off/on the pedal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Owned the car for about six weeks. When in drive, the soft clicking/whirring noise just lasts for a couple seconds every time you put your foot on the gas pedal and again when you take it off. If footis on gas it doesnt happen if you put foot further down. Only when you take it off/on the pedal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any update or response please
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the delay in getting back with you. I had to go offline momentarily. The noise you are hearing on this engine is typically the timing chain. As the chain wears and stretches it starts to make this noise. You want to make sure that the oil level is correct and that the oil is the correct weight. If that is fine then the timing chin should be inspected. There are other possibilities but this is the most common.