Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

SL500: What supplies power to circuit 58d? I cant find where

What supplies power to circuit 58d? I cant find where the power comes from and I dont have any illumination on any lights on circuit 58d.

Marty :

Hi, my name isXXXXX 58d gets power from circuit 58k which comes directly from the headlight switch.

Marty :

It's the grey/violet wire from the headlight switch.

Customer:

Quick question. Is this the same Marty from LMVIND?

Customer:

Ok. So I found that already. My problem is that I am not getting power from the Exterior Lamp Failure Monitoring Module to the HL switch which in turn is not supplying power to my dash lights and all other interior lights on 58d. Can I bypass the HL switch and power that circuit via a jumper wire or does the HL switch limit the power supplied to circuit 58d?

Customer:

Im sorry Marty. I see that the HL switch is not between the cluster and the ELFMM. Is the voltage from fuse 1 being limited by the HL switch or can I jump the wire from fuse 1 to pin 16 of the ELFMM to power circuit 58d?

Marty :

Hi, no the LMV Marty is a different Marty :-)

Customer:

O. Ok. :)

Customer:

Or is the voltage limited by the ELFMM?

Customer:

I guess what Im trying to ask is is there a safe way to bypass the module to see if that is where my problem is?

Marty :

You can power pin 16 directly and see if the dash lights work. I'd use a fused jumper.

Marty :

This sounds more like a bad headlight switch.

Marty :

If you have no power on terminal 16 with the headlights switched on and if fuse 1 has power when you switch the lights on the fault is probably in the headlight switch. Fuse 1 powers K30 on the headlight switch which in turn powers terminal k out of the switch which powers the dash lights. The dash light circuit does not go through the ELFMM.

Marty :

Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer:

I am using diagram PE82.20-U-2000YA. In grid 54A it shows F1 powering K30 which (as you stated) powers terminal K. But between the HL switch and the Cluster is the N7 (ELFMM). So thats where I was getting confused. I just went out and tested the GYVT at the cluster and with the HL switch on, both GYVT wires have B+. So with that being said. I have installed a known good cluster and still had the same problem. Nothing is illuminating on 58d. Any thoughts?

Customer:

BTW. I am aware that the level of detail is higher than originally requested. I will tip well on this.

Marty :

Do you have power to the instrument cluster on connector 1 pin 8 (grey/violet wire) with the headlights on?

Marty :

I think you said that you do, is that correct?

Marty :

Is the rheostat on the cluster turned all the way up?

Customer:

Yes and yes.

Customer:

The odometer lighting is still adjustable via the rheostat. Thats changes but the light dont light up. I replaced all the lights in the original cluster first before anything to make sure they were not burned out.

Marty :

Do all of the other switches on the dash light up when you turn the headlights on?

Marty :

In other words, are you getting voltage on connector 1 pin 6?

Customer:

No. Connector 1 pin 6. Is that a grey/blue wire? Also, I need to correct myself. The first cluster that was installed went to a w140. To correct myself on this whole thing, I wasnt the one who did the cluster the first time. It was my dad.

Customer:

So in other words. It was not a known good cluster....

Customer:

sorry

Marty :

Yes, connector 1 pin 6 is grey/blue. If you have power at pin 8 and nothing at pin 6 the problem has to be with the rheostat in the cluster. If you jump power from pin 8 to pin 6 everything should light up.

Customer:

Everything but the cluster?

Customer:

correct?

Marty :

Even the cluster.

Customer:

Ok. Give me a sec

Marty :

ok

Customer:

5A fusible link acceptable? F1 is a 8 amp fuse.

Marty :

yes

Customer:

Ok. So I found mini blade 7.5 amp and it popped the second I created the circuit. There is something on the 58d that is short to ground. Correct? Maybe bad cluster?

Marty :

Just unplug the cluster and power the grey blue wire in the harness and see if all of the other lights light up.

Customer:

My dad said that when he installed the "known good" cluster, its smelled like something burned up. I think maybe he burned up the other cluster....

Customer:

Ok. Ill be right back

Marty :

ok

Customer:

Nope. Just blew that fuse too. So Im gonna take apart the center console and remove all of the wires from terminal block X6. If I put them back 1 at a time while I have that fusible link setup, when the fuse goes boom, that what component is shorted... correct?

Customer:

Can you verify that all items on 58d except for the cluster are hooked to the x6 terminal block?

Marty :

that is correct and yes it looks like everything goes to the x6 connector.

Customer:

perfect. Thanks for all your help. What diagram were you using? WIS?

Marty :

You're quite welcome. I use the Mercedes WEB ETM. Click here for the circuit 58d schematic.

Marty :

And click here for the legend.

Customer:

One more ? Sorry. Any specific way you would identify which component I am connecting if all the wires going to that terminal block is the same color?

Marty :

I'd just remove them all and connect them one at a time then see what doesn't work when you have located the shorted wire.

Customer:

Whoops... bad grammar. "are the same color?" Great. Well thank so much for the help. As you can tell I am still getting my feet under me when it comes to advanced diagnostics. Have a great night :)

Marty :

You're welcome!