Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

E320 wagon: I changed the break switch but my Mercedes e320

I changed the break switch but my Mercedes e320 (2003) is still stuck in park...do I need to over ride it once so it recognizes the new switch. Car was running fine, then just became stuck in park. It had to sit for a week to get the new part. New part arrived, battery is dead now..so I assume jump the battery and that will be fine..just wondering about the break switch thing...I was hoping the weak battery was the cause of the car not recognizing the new part?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 10 months ago.

Marty :

Hi, my name isXXXXX replacing the brake light switch the shifter should unlock immediately. You should not need to override the shifter in order to get the brake release to function. If your car battery is weak it could be the problem. Once you get the battery charged or jump start the car the brake release should work. When installing the brake light switch you should pull the plunger of the switch all the way out and then push the brake pedal down when installing the switch. Once the switch is installed you should release the brake pedal and allow it to come back and adjust the plunger of the switch to the correct length.

Customer:

I will have the car jumped tomorrow. LOL, being a women..I had no idea about the the correct positioning of the plunger and break. I will do this tomorrow and see if this works. Thanks!

Marty :

You're quite welcome. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Customer:

Car was jumped and break switch put in properly...still stuck in park. Any other helpful hints?

Marty :

Hi, it's possible that you have a bad gear selector module. Are your brake lights working when you press the brake pedal?

Customer:

Yes break lights work... And car is stuck in limp mode when you override the parking issue. Just had a new transmission done less than a year ago. So ill look into the gear selector

Marty :

Ok, then I think your fault will be in the selector or the transmission control module.

Customer:

I was just reading online and yes... The Android was left open a few weeks back and we got to a major rain storm... So ill try that next. It has 350k miles so I don't want to source an arm and a leg getting it going. Figure I'd try a few things before trashing it.

Customer:

Sunroof not android

Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.