Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

SL500: Marty, 2004 SL500 I opened the trunk and closed

Customer Question

Marty,

2004 SL500
I opened the trunk and closed it
Now all of a sudden I cant open it and the power locks dont operate on the doors. I tried to put down the convertible top and the dash message says close the trunk lid...... but it's closed and I can open it. What to do?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name isXXXXX am away from my main computer and unable to enter chat mode.

It sounds like your central locking pump has failed or the fuse for the pump has blown. I would check fuse 71 in the rear fuse box behind the passenger seat. Open the storage compartment and remove the false bottom of the compartment to access the fuses. It sounds like your trunk did not pull all the way closed due to a leak in the trunk lock or due to a faulty central locking pump or a blown fuse for the pump. Right now I think either the fuse is blown or the pump has failed. Let me know what you find.

Marty

graphic
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The fuse is blown. Not sure what blew the fuse. It was fine earlier today. Didnt blow until after I closed the trunk I guess. Just replace it?

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Yes just replace the fuse and you should be able to open the trunk with the remote. If the fuse blows immediately it means that the central locking pump has failed.

Let me know how you make out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Marty! The fuse doesnt blow immediately. It seems to blow if I close the trunk "softly" . If I slam the rtunk shut it seems OK.

A couple of side things. The glovebox solenoid has been removed to be replaced so the light and parts are hanging there. I assume this has nothing to do with it.

So after I followed your directions and replaced fuse #71 the door locks worked and the convertible top opened and closed beautifully.

But ........... now. OY! My gas station mechanic, who has had numerous MBs himself, replaced the center brakelight in the trunk lid for me. Now the top wont function. I get a message in the dash " Visit Workshop"

What could he have done that would cause this? Where should we look? He claims, of course, that he couldnt have done anything.

Thanks in advance!

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ross, my first question would be whether the trunk is showing open or not. There should also be additional messages along with the visit workshop message. Can you check the display again and let me know what it says or shows?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will do later today or this evening. The car is not with me. No additional message that I can remember. Could it be another fuse?

Or did my mechanic loosen something or not put a plug back in?

He mentioned to me that on one side the "flap" that comes down is looser on one side than the other. He noticed it when working on the trunk light. He said there are a "million" clips he had to remove and replace to do the light. Just wondering what he could have done to make the top inoperable. No question that it happened then because it worked fine before. Still puzzling over the fuse #71 issue too.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Most likely he disturbed the flaps on the inside of the trunk lid. There is a repair kit for the flap gears that will most likely need to be installed. Click here for a good write up on the problem with pictures. Let me know if you need more help with this.

Marty
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will get back to you later after I have a chance to look at the display.

Ross

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good Ross.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Marty,

Got home and fired up the SL500.

Door locks operated fine

No messages on screen.

So I tried to put down top. Message "Visit Workshop" That's all.

Turned off car. Restarted and push the button to close the top. Message " Visit workshop." That's it

Door locks still fine after that.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ross, did you inspect the trunk flaps? If one or both are sagging and not pulled tight to the lid it could cause the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Marty both of the flaps are not "tight"

What's the fix for that and how do we know that that is the problem?

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
You could try duct taping them tight to the lid and see if you still get the message. If the roof starts to open you will need to remove the tape so they can swing open. If that turns out to be the problem you will need to install the gear kits. Click here for a good write up on the problem with pictures. Let me know if you need more help with this.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Marty,

Youda man! :-) I taped up the flaps and the roof operated. Opened and closed. Repeated it a few times. Now I removed the tape, for some reason the flaps seem tight ( maybe they weren't retracted all the way before) and the the roof operates without the duct tape. I think I will buy the flap gear repair parts and do it since it seems so simple per the link that you sent me to.

OK next question. I got a battery symbol and "Electrical Users Offline " error. I assume that means the battery is not fully charged? It went away after a few minutes of running the car. Where is the best point to hook up battery charger?

Final question for today :-) :-) ( Maybe )

The glove box had been stuck closed. Pushing the button did nothing The tech at Acura who used to work at MB got the box opened and said the problem was the solenoid or actuator and ordered the part. I never got back to the Acura dealer where I bought the MB to finish that repair and they sent the part back. The glove box was on the floor but they put it back in and so my glove box is hanging open. And the light is hanging there. What part do I need? And how difficult is the repair. Can I do it myself or do I need to go back to him or go to MB?

Ross

Expert:  Marty replied 12 months ago.
Hi Ross, I'm glad you got the roof squared away.

Your message indicates a weak battery. I would connect a charger directly to the battery in the trunk.

On your glove box the problem is usually just a cable adjustment. I've attached the service bulletin on the issue below along with instructions to remove and install the glove box.

Service Bulletin
Remove / Install Glove Box
Remove Paneling Under Dash

Let me know if you need anything else. If you would take a moment to rate my service I would appreciate it.

Marty
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Well the solenoid has already been removed. The glovebox light is hanging there and the glovebox is open. I dont want to close it because I wont be able to open again with out removing side panel and accessing the white wheel. So I guess I will need to order the solenoid ( part # ? )

And take the glove box apart according to the bulletin you sent me. Not quite sure how to put the part in or where it goes. Are there directions for putting that part in?

Expert:  Marty replied 12 months ago.
The problem is there is no solenoid. I'm not sure which part they may have removed. The only thing I can figure is they removed the vacuum actuator that locks the glove box. I've attached a picture of the glove box pushbutton below. The vacuum actuator is the white piece at the top of the picture. The part number is 202 800 20 75. It is not needed for the operation of the glove box it is only used for locking the box with the key or when you lock the car.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

So if I close the glove box, how will I open it? The push button is not electrical or hydraulic? I am afraid to close it for fear of not being able to open again

Expert:  Marty replied 12 months ago.
The push button is cable operated. I cannot recall exactly how the cable works from the button end. If the vacuum actuator is missing it may affect the operation of the cable. I would partially remove the glove box so you can access the cable and check the operation of the cable when you close the glove box door.