MercedesDoc
MercedesDoc, Independent Mercedes Shop Owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with Mercedes. Independent European shop owner and technician.
14582033

E 350 4matic wagon: I have 2006 e 350 4matic wagon. I had Michlen

I have 2006 e 350 4matic wagon. I had Michlen 245/45 R17 H95s', which needed replacement. I tried Conti eco perfect contacts but too noisey and vibrations over 40mph for some reason. Tried Pirrelli P6s with the same results. 4 wheel alignment and tire balancing with each set. Any fix possible?
Hello, I'm Jason.
I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

Ok, so there was no vibrations with the original tires, but they were just worn? When you have the tires mounted and balanced, did the shop 1) make sure there were no bends in the wheels, 2) road force balance them and 3) check all suspension parts and axles for looseness or play?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't know the exact alignment work performed. There web site does not indicate a road force testing machine.

Ok, in most cases, alignment issues won't cause vibrations as you're feeling, so we'll try to concentrate on rotational forces that would affect or cause vibrations. Balancing, meaning the process of adding or subtracting weight from the inside or outside of a wheel-tire assembly often affects vibrations more than anything. Now, both the wheel and tire inherently have heavy and light spots. This can contribute to imbalance. However, tires also have high and low spots that aren't detected until weight is on the wheel-tire assembly. A road-force balance simulates car weight on the tire, and if necessary, the tire can be matched to the wheel much more precisely using this sort of machine.

If you have the option of using a different tire, I would suggest going with Michelin or Bridgestone, but if not, then try a road force balance on the tires you currently have.