Mike, Technician
Experience:  34 years of in the Motor Trade as diagnostic Technician and general repair work.
9261905

Mercedes-Benz ML350: 2011 ML350 4MATIC, I have a loud whining

2011 ML350 4MATIC, I have a loud whining noise coming from the engine/powertrain. The whine is consistant with engine speed, only heard in the lower gears(1-3), and does not go away. I have been to the dealer and they have replaced the a/c compressor and the power steering pump. We even took a drive in a few other similar ML and they all had the noise to varying degrees, so now they are saying it must be normal. Help!
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you ..

With this sort of an issue, a good way to trace down such noises is to remove the belts and run the engine just briefly, then see if the noise has gone - if it has, then you know it is one of the driven pulleys at fault.

You can then check each individual pulley for play etc -manually feeling / rotating - tugging at the pulley wheels to reveal any issues and the same with AC compressor pulley unit - -and that usually will if there is a fault there.. and then you can progress to a fix there.

If no such issues are found, then fit another, new belt - Sometimes its the belt that has hardened and is causing the noise- and that sorts it.

If the noise does not abate with the belt off - then the fault is either in the engine or the transmission - which would need further/ deeper investigation....

BUt thats the way to go through it. Its time consuming so I suspect the dealer does not really want to get into that - but that would be the way. You will have to put this to the dealer thats looking at it for you -

Best Rgds --- MIKE.

.................. Please do click on the OK / Excellent ratings button for me now - as thats how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that.

You can get back to me anytime you might need too after that - you are always welcome.

Rgds - MIKE...

Mike, Technician
Experience: 34 years of in the Motor Trade as diagnostic Technician and general repair work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Mike.