Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

SL 55 AMG: We own a 2003 SL55 AMG.The right front headlight

We own a 2003 SL55 AMG.
The right front headlight functions intermittently, sometimes on and sometimes off when you start the car. I understand that this could be the light module or the ballast for that particular light but is it possible we are looking at a faulty connection in the wiring?
Hi, sorry for the wait. My name isXXXXX it is possible that there is a faulty connection at the headlamp components but it is very unlikely. The usual problem with intermittent lighting of the Xenon bulb is the ballast. Testing is done by substituting a known good ballast to see if it solves the problem. There is no other sure method of testing except by substituting components. When the headlamp is disassembled the connections should all be checked. Mercedes does a good job of sealing the connectors and it is unlikely that you will find a fault there.

Please let me know if you have any questions.