Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, Master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
30385560

Mercedes-Benz C180: Hello, the alarm of my european 1998 mercedes

the alarm of my european 1998 mercedes c180 went of spontaneously last night twice and the night before once. Burglary does not seem likely. Questions:
1. What is the most probable cause?
2. How can I turn of the alarm completely myself?

Best regards
Jens
PS the windows were closed, nothing hanging inside, all normal, weather conditions were normal as well
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

Billy :

Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.

Billy :

In the center console, you should have the movement sensors/gradient sensor deactivation switch.

Billy :

Did you try deactivating them (as these would be the most likely reason for the problem.?

Customer:

Customer:

there is no movement sensors/gradient sensor deactivation switch In the center console

Customer:

there is a switch to temporarily turn off the alarma, but it will be re-activated as soon as I lock the car again. Which i obviously will do.

Customer:

So please re-answer the question. And how come (1) there was a Mercedes-expert when I was asked to pay and now I find an other expert without 'Mercedes'in your profile and (2) are you offlinethe minute you give your first answer?

Billy :

Billy :

I did not give an answer, i was just confirming the de activation switch issue. There are many Mercedes experts. I am one of them, you can check my profile: http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/

Billy :

I was not offline, i was assisting another customer.

Billy :

If you wish, i can opt out, so another expert gets this. And you can ask for a specific expert.

Customer:

I will be more then happy if you can help me Billy

Billy :

I will try my best to do so.

Billy :

Now a few more questions (please be patient, as the more i know, the more accurate the diagnosis):

Customer:

ok

Billy :

- when the alarm sounds, if you turn it off, how long till it did this the second time?

Billy :

- why are you so sure that this is not burglary (or at least trial)?

Customer:

i did not turn it off, itstopped itself. the neighbour came by this morning there were a few hours between the alarms

Customer:

2 nights in a row, twice, not likely. it is very quiet here

Customer:

let's assume it is not a burglar ok?

Billy :

I'm fine with that... however, i was wondering why it only happened at night...

Customer:

true

Billy :

just a second i'm getting the wiring diagrams...

Customer:

ok

Billy :

Ok.....

Billy :

You can only de activate the alarm totally, by having a scan tool (star scan or hht in your case).

Billy :

You can however, disconnect the horn. You get to the central locking control unit (along with its pump) in the trunk. You remove the pin number three (this gets to the horn), and so the horn will no longer activate.

Billy :

Would this work for you?

Billy :

I will check back after a few minutes to check your reply...

Customer:

well, I suppose this would be a solution for tomorrownight if there is a very mad neighbour at my door tomorowmorning but ofcourse one needs a horn for save driving as well. So

Customer:

any thoughts on what might be the cause of this (except a burglar)?

Customer:

and if we would go for disactivating the horn, how do I recognize the right pin? third on the left? so what are these, fuses?

Billy :

Hello again, we're only disconnecting the alarm horn. So the regular horn (or when you press from the steering wheel), should still operate.

Billy :

The anti-theft alarm (ATA) can be tripped by-Actuating one of the outer surface contacts, on vehicles with code 882 (interior motion sensor (infrared) also by:-interior motion sensor (IMS),-anti-towing sensor opening (TS).

Billy :

So one of these components would be faulty causing this....or the alarm control unit would be faulty.

Billy :

Checking the wiring connectors, making sure you have clean and tight contacts would be advised accordingly.

Billy :

Thank you for your trust! Get back to me if you need more assistance...Thank you in advance for the positive rating...
http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/

Customer:

hi,

Customer:

this is not comprehensible. Let's react first to

Customer:

You get to the central locking control unit (along with its pump) in the trunk

Customer:

well there is no trunk it is a stationwagon. So where can I find this unit then?

Customer:

Please guide me through the process to de-activate the alarm with 'steps for dummies'. 1. Where do I find this unit? 2. How to recognize it? 3. How to recognize the right pin? 4. Are this fuses?

Billy :

It is in the storage compartment, on the passenger side, under the carpet. The right side (passenger side) trim panel requires removing for access.

Billy :

The other variant would have the unit under the rear seat. So you'll have to look in both locations (as there are many variants on this model).

Billy :

How to recognize it: it looks like this:

Billy :

There are four connectors, the fourth has many pins, the third pin on the fourth connector, should have a yellow wire with a red stripe. That is the wire to remove.

Billy :

Get back to me i further assistance is needed....

Customer:

ok I will start looking thanks

Customer:

looks like I can turn off the alarm after all.... well thanks anyway i learned a lot

Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience: Trainer 8+ years, Master tech. 10+ years, SAE member