Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 23 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing

Mercedes-Benz GL450: hi, I have Mercedes gl 450, when I put

hi, I have Mercedes gl 450, when I put key and turn, light of controlers not light up and don't start, I have to keep trying several times to start.

If the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand so double checking for any mechanical issues
If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced
Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off

If this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX I put key and turn there is no ignition light, so I have to do it several times, and when I see ignition light than it starts
Hello Michal

in that case its likely to be a faulty ignition switch and this can be replaced while keeping your existing key fob so you don't end up with different keys for the ignition to the doors

I'd suggest speaking to an auto locksmith about this to save some money as the dealer will be expensive