Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

E350: My mercedes e350 2010 model has suddenly developed a

My mercedes e350 2010 model has suddenly developed a dull quick knocking noise that seems to come from the steering column area. It starts about 15 seconds after the engine is switched on and it continues even when the car is not in motion. It stops every 2 minutes on average for about 10 seconds and then starts again
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.I may need more info in some cases to help with answering your question.

Does this noise occur when turning the steering wheel only or can the steering wheel be stationary and the noise still occurs?

Has anything been checked over to try and locate or correct this issue at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Pete. Thanks for the prompt response. The noise starts and continues without the steering being touched. It seems to get a bit louder and faster as the car gets into motion. It doesnt change in anyway when I turn the steering. I notice that when I drive over a bump the noise stops momentarily and then resumes as I continue driving.

I must point out that the left low beam bulb was changed yesterday and I started noticing this sound right after.

When I open the bonnet, the noise is definitely not coming from the

O.k.,to be sure you can hear it with the engine running at a stand still in park and in gear as well as when driving it?

At the end of you last post you had typed "When I open the bonnet, the noise is definitely not coming from the" but didn't finish the rest here,can you repost what you were going to type?

Let me know,thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I got cut off. The noise is definitely not coming from the engine, it does seem to be from the steering column general area. It is not a very loud noise, but it is quite distinct as if someone is tapping on the bonnet with a finger.

O.k.,lets check something here.Below in the picture is the purge control solenoid.It is located under the hood on the drivers side of the engine.When this noise occurs locate this purge solenoid and feel it as well as listen to it to see if it is causing this noise here nd let me know so we can continue.

graphic

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No Pete, just checked, not the solenoid. I also notice that the noise starts as a muted kind of vibration and then becomes more knocking after I rev the engine. its a very rapid sounding noise

And it doesn't change or increase in speed when the engine is revved up am I correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Pete. Thanks for all the help. While talking toyou the mechanic who changed the bulb has ccome and discovered thatbthey forgot to slideth solenoid back unto its slot. That was what was causing the rattling. Thanks once again for you really good help, do go ahead and complete the charge, my car is as quiet as a german mouse and I'm quite happy. This is a great resource and its good to know I can come back here for expert advice. Many thanks.

Thats great to hear it has been resolved.I will leave this post here to where you can rate my help when you are ready.Let me know if you need anything else in the future.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete