Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Mercedes-Benz 500SL: HOW DO YOU TAKE THE COVER OFF OF THE FUSES

HOW DO YOU TAKE THE COVER OFF OF THE FUSES ON THE PASSENGER SIDE BY THE WINDOW OF A 1990 500 SL

eurotec :

Hi, my name isXXXXX not sure that I know which cover you are referring to. Are the fuses located under the hood?

Customer:

yes under hood on passenger side by the window....I AM LOOKING TO SOLVE A PROBLEM WITH COLD START

eurotec :

Ok, are you referring to the fuses in the base module?

Customer:

YES I AM #3

Customer:

I CAN'T REMOVE THE COVER WITH THE NUMBERS ON IT.

eurotec :

Full Size Image

eurotec :

Do you see the cover in the picture below?

eurotec :

I should say, do you see the cover in the picture above?

Customer:

NO BUT I SENT YOU A PICTURE...PERHAPS I AM LOOKING IN THE WRONG PLACE. IS THE PICTURE I SENT YOU THE MODULE WITH THE FUSE #3 FOR THE COLD START ON THE INJECTOR?

eurotec :

Your picture did not come through.

Customer:

CAN I SEND A PICTURE TO XXXXXXXXXX /p>

eurotec :

I think you may be looking for the fuses in the overvoltage protection relay.

eurotec :

The relay is with the modules in the picture I sent you. It can't be seen in the picture but it's down between the two relays with the knobs on the top.

Customer:

I AM LOOKING FOR THE MODULE THAT CONTROLS THE COLD START OF THE FUEL INJECTOR SYSTEM....THERE ARE THREE ASSOCIATED FUSES I AM LOOKING FOR #3....AM I IN THE WRONG PLACE....

eurotec :

The cold start valve gets it's power from the overvoltage protection relay. There are fuses in the top of the relay that need to be checked. If you have no power to the cold start valve and the fuses in the relay are good I would replace the relay.

eurotec :

Click here for a picture and a source for the relay.

eurotec :

Are you able to locate the relay in the module compartment at the passenger side rear of the engine compartment?

Customer:

YES THIS IS WERE I AM ....HOW DO YOU GET THE FUSES OUT....DOES THE TOP WITH THE NUMBERS COME OFF OR THE BOTTOM SLIDE OUT....WHAT DO I DO...

eurotec :

The top lid on the relay flips open.

Customer:

FROM FRONT TO BACK LEFT TO RIGHT OR RIGHT TO LEFT?

eurotec :

If you look at the link I sent you it shows the lid pretty well. The part over the fuses flips up and back over the relay.

Customer:

THANKS THATS' ALL I NEED YOU ARE THE EXPERT SO YOU GET EXPERT RATING!!!

eurotec :

Thank you very much!

eurotec :

You just need to click on the ratings tab to rate my service tonight and close the chat.