Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor: Ok, when i turn the key, the

Ok, when i turn the key, the ignition starts, but the power windows, air conditioning, external lights, radio, instrument cluster, all operate as if the car was turned off. As i turn the key however, they appear to turn on, for about a second and then its as if the connection is severed or something. I would also like to add that while the engine is on during this process, it begins to make a loud noise after about 10 to 15 seconds as if the car was overheating.

eurotec :

Hi, my name isXXXXX electrical problems that you are experiencing sound like a faulty ignition switch. This problem needs to be diagnosed with voltage testing from the switch to the fuse box. There are numerous power circuits coming out of the switch. It sounds like there is no power from the switch that feeds the items that are not working.

eurotec :

On your CEL it sounds like all the shop did was reset the light in the hopes that it would remain off. The fault codes that are stored in the engine control module will need to be diagnosed and repaired in order to keep the light off so it will pass smog.

eurotec :

Did you receive my reply?

eurotec :

Are you able to view my replies?

Customer:

So do I need to change my ignition switch or my key? I don't know bec I am just a woman, I need more details to make sense to me. What is my next move have the mechanic change my ignition switch?

Customer:

P0660 and P0128 are the codes that show on the smog

Customer:

Do you have an idea how much it will cost to have it fixed? Like a ballpark figure? can you tell me what needs to be changed?

eurotec :

You're next move is to have the technician test for power at the ignition switch when the items are not working. If there is no power leaving the switch the switch will need to be replaced.

eurotec :

Let me look up those fault codes for you.

Customer:

Do you have an idea how much the switch is?

eurotec :

I will check that as well.

Customer:

there is power on ignition. but sometimes the panel doesn't activate but the car runs.

Customer:

thanks

eurotec :

Correct, there are numerous wires that come out of the ignition switch. It sounds like you are not getting power from the switch to the items that are not working.

eurotec :

The switch is $478 and takes about 3 hours to install.

eurotec :

I'm checking the fault codes now.

eurotec :

For the P0128 fault code they need to replace the coolant thermostat and the coolant temperature sensor.

eurotec :

The thermostat is $42.50 and takes about 2 hours to replace.

eurotec :

The sensor is $26 and takes about 1/2 hour to replace.

Customer:

Would changing the key help? The contact on the 'close' is not working so when I lock my car I had to pull the small manual key and insert it in the keyhole.

eurotec :

Yes it's always a good idea to try a new key whenever you have ignition system problems relating to the switch. It may not help but it's worth trying before doing the diagnosis on the switch.

eurotec :

The P0660 fault code indicates a possible fault with the flaps inside the intake manifold. The technician needs to inspect the intake manifold linkage to see if everything moves freely. In many cases the intake manifold will need to be replaced.

eurotec :

The intake manifold is $545 and takes about 4 hours to replace.

Customer:

if all those are replaced, my car will pass the smog?

eurotec :

As long as those are the only fault codes yes it will.

Customer:

Whre are you located?

eurotec :

I am in Florida

Customer:

oh. that's too far to take my car to you. ok then I will talk to my mechanic and tell him what we just talked abotut.

Customer:

Thank you very much. I will pay now.