Stan
Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Technical support engineer
16766657

B200: I HAVE A CVT TRANSMISSION ISSUE CODE P0730 CVT IMPLUSABLE

Customer Question

I HAVE A CVT TRANSMISSION ISSUE CODE P0730 CVT IMPLUSABLE ..IT ALSO VIBRATES THE CAR ON ACELERATION WHILE CHANGING GEARS 1 TO 3 ..IT IS OK ON THE HIGHWAY
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Stan replied 3 years ago.

Diagnostics Engineer :

Diagnostics Engineer :

The P0730 code indicates that transmission is slipping.

Diagnostics Engineer :

It is usually caused by worn v-belt on the variator shaft gears

JACUSTOMER-xp8tljt6- :

i spoke to my local MB dealer and i was informed that they have never changed a transmission on a B200, could a faulty revorlution sensor cause this problem?

Diagnostics Engineer :

The revolution sensor would cause emergency running mode, but not vibration. Also there is a separate fault for the sensor.

Diagnostics Engineer :

You did the right thing by replacing the oil and the filter. Was the oil clean? Any contamination?

JACUSTOMER-xp8tljt6- :

i cant believe the transmission is slipping with only 120,000km on the car. a reman transmission is $5000.00, if i install a used transmission would i hace to swap valve body's?

JACUSTOMER-xp8tljt6- :

oil was clean and no debree in pan

Diagnostics Engineer :

Yes, the valve body will have to be installed from your car. Otherwise the dealer will have to re-code the unit from the other transmission to your car.

Diagnostics Engineer :

Was the valve body removed and the condition of the variator belt checked?

JACUSTOMER-xp8tljt6- :

the reman transmission comes with no valve body. well i guess i know what i need to do. i was hoping it was a sensor. i didnt break it or design it. do i have to remove the engine and transmission as an assembly or will transmission be removed by itself? and what is the total capacity of cvt oil?

JACUSTOMER-xp8tljt6- :

no valve body was not removed and cvt belt was not checked

Diagnostics Engineer :

The belt tension and the pulley condition can be checked when valve body is off. It should be done before committing to transmission swap.

JACUSTOMER-xp8tljt6- :

is the belt tension adjustable?

Diagnostics Engineer :

No, it is not- adjustment is automatic. If it is loose- transmission needs an overhaul by replacing the belt and gear set.

Diagnostics Engineer :

Considering the age and the mileage, did the dealer offer any goodwill for the repairs?

JACUSTOMER-xp8tljt6- :

dealer will not goodwill because we do not service there. im a licenced tech with toyota and perform maintance myself. all services have been done before recommend intervals. this is why im in shock its broken so early.

Diagnostics Engineer :

Ok, i see. I suggest to check the condition of the belt and it's gears. If everything is perfect there- valve body itself might have problems with controlling the gear ratio of variator. Valve body has the control unit in it, so replacing it will require dealer-level equipment.

Diagnostics Engineer :

To replace the transmission, it must be removed together with the engine and the subframe and only then separated. Full fill is 6,5 liters

Diagnostics Engineer :

It is together with the oil cooler fill.

JACUSTOMER-xp8tljt6- :

ok i know what my next step is. thanks for your help. how do i send you my findings and confirmation of repairs for your records.

Diagnostics Engineer :

You can reply to me here whenever it is most convenient for you, even after rating my help. If you will need any further clarifications or extra info on this at any time in the future- i will be glad to reply with more input as well within this question.

Diagnostics Engineer :

I will be glad to get the results of your findings

JACUSTOMER-xp8tljt6- :

thanks

Diagnostics Engineer :

You're welcome,
Best Regards,
Stan