Super mechanic
Super mechanic, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master, 30+ years exp. troubleshooting, diag. electrical, collision
2947720

C230 Kompressor: Secondary Air Injection Fuse/Relay

Where can I find the Secondary Air Injection Relay and Fuse for a 2002 Mercedes C230 Kompressor Coupe Hatchback?  please provide specifics as I already have fuse diagram but nothing identifies the secondary air injection.

Thanks

Jeff

Hello and welcome, Super mechanic here. Thank you for trusting us with your vehicle concerns, I will do my best to help you with your question.

.

.

****You have the hit happy face or a high rating for me to get paid for the answer.*****

.

.

If you need any more on it just let me know. Thanks

..

About your vehicle.

.

Secondary Air Injection Relay, Position

graphic

Location on Model 203
N3/10 ME-SFI [ME] control module
N10/1kO Air pump relay
N10/1kR Engine circuit 87 relay
N10/1kS Starter relay

Relay Assignment of Fuse and Relay Box in Left Engine Compartment

graphic

graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the response I already have the pictures provided but where is the fuse box and relay box located for each of these diagams. Also, are you sure that these diagrams are for the 2002 C230 Kompressor Coupe Hatchback? There was also a 2002 C230 Sedan - which may have been different.

Thanks

Jeff

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks

Jeff

So you are saying that on yours the relay is not there?

.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your response

When you say the Relay Assignment of Fuse and Relay Box in Left Engine Compartment does that mean It is located under the hood (passenger side)? I haven't looked on the passenger side yet, I will have to do that later today. I have opened the fuse box under the hood driver side. Is there a fuse for the secondary air injection system?

thanks

The C230 (hatchback) should be the 2.3 super charged engine, (111.981). Is that correct?
.
.

Engines fitted with supercharger
The injected air is drawn off on the pressure side downstream of the compressor. No air pump is required.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So are you saying there is no relay or fuse for the secondary air injection? Is there a fuse for the compressor that I should be concerned with that might indirectly affect the flow causing a P0410 error?

No fuse but there is a service bulletin for the wiring harness that may apply.
,
.

Emissions - Check Engine Light ON/DTC's P2036/P203A Set

Date: November 7, 2001

Order No.: P-B-07.61/15

Supersedes:

Group: 07

SUBJECT:
Model Year 2001, SLK230 (170.449) and Model Year 2002, C230K (203.747)

Check Engine Light Activated with DTC P2036 (P0410) or P203A / Engine

Performance

..

.

Complaint

In the above referenced models, should you experience instances of check engine light with code P2036 (P0410) or P203A or engine performance complaints, this may be caused by an air injection system component failure and/or an engine wiring harness problem. Please follow the below steps to remedy this condition.

.

.

Note :With 9/01 DAS update, a test to check the air injection logic chain on Mill with SIM4 injection system has been added.

.

Remedy:

1. Check all components (shut off valve, check valve, switch over valve, vacuum lines and connections) of the air injection system for proper function and correct routing.
2. A bad contact in the wiring harness from the engine ECU to flap M 16/7 at splice Z 7/27 which is located either in the harness tray on the left side of the engine, or between the fire wall and the harness tray may be influencing the correct function of the flap.
3. Measure the resistance in the 5V supply voltage line in the engine wiring harness from the Engine ECU (pin 30) to the recirculating air flap (M 16/7 - pin 3) with an Ohmmeter.
4. If the resistance increases by more than 0.5 ohms while moving the wiring harness (turn-twist pull-push), check the position of the splice connection Z 7/27.
5. If connection Z 7/27 of the engine wiring harness is found to be in the harness tray on the left side (drive direction) at the engine, remove the sleeve's insulation, re-solder and insulate it using a new heat shrink wrap.
6. If connection Z 7/27 of the engine wiring harness is found to be between the fire wall and the harness tray (not in the harness tray), the engine wiring harness needs to be replaced.

..
.
Note :Wiring harness with a production date of CW31 (week of 7/30/01) or later are of an updated configuration.

..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks I tried what you mentioned with Mercedes.

They cleaned up my wiring harness and couldn't explain why it was coming back then told me it was my catalytic converter. I changed that too, and it has now come back again. It seems to come back when the weather is starting to get cold. The Dealer doesn't really know how to fix the problem, and it has just been costing me more money.

Thanks for the advice

Jeff

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What does this mean? Does this mean that anything after this date has the wiring harness in the harness tray and does not need to be replaced?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello,Note :Wiring harness with a production date of CW31 (week of 7/30/01) or later are of an updated configuration.What does this mean? Does this mean that anything after this date has the wiring harness in the harness tray and does not need to be replaced? Thanks
Yes, anything made after the week of 7/30/01 has the updated harness.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The P0410 Error seems to trigger when it's cold. It did not do this during the summer. I don't believe the harness could be at fault as the code should have triggered throughout the summer if it was faulty. I changed the catalytic converter with benz and the code did not appear from March 2012 until just recently. It has to do with cold start, or cold temp. Is there anything else that you could suggest I do that I haven't already tried.

Benz cleaned the oil from the wiring harness saying it could be that but then it came back. If not, Do you know who I could contact at Benz head office to make a formal complaint Name, email address?.

Thanks

Jeff

Not sure but the local dealership sould be able to give you the contcact information for the district supervisor, or factory rep.