Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Steering wheel making a clicking sound when turning it..

My 1998 ML320 just started making a clicking sound when I turn the steering wheel...This started today...We are to make a 500 mile roud trip this weekend....I just had my power steering worked on...The v-belt came off as a result of the bearings overheating and melting the pulley, so the belt came off...That was fixed and then, the steering was having a "floating" feeling and a lot of play in the steering....They replaced the power steering reservoir and filter....Now, a week later and this clicking in the steering wheel....Is this a danger to drive on our trip tomorrow? Thank you....Teresa

Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.

eurotec :

Hi Teresa, sorry for the delay in replying to you. Whenever you have noises following work that was done to the car there is cause for concern. When you mention a clicking noise I immediately think of a noise related to a loose steering coupling between the steering wheel and the steering gear. If the shop had been working on the steering gear or the column it's possible that they have left something loose. I would not advise you to set out on your trip until you can get this inspected. It may simply be a matter of stopping by the shop this morning so a technician can hear the noise and check the steering and make the determination as to whether it's safe to drive or not. If the shop never touched the steering column or the steering gear then most likely you will be fine but it's best to check. Replacing the power steering pulley and belt and reservoir should not be a cause for the clicking in the steering wheel when turning but they may have been working in the area while they were doing their diagnosis. Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer:

When the V-Belt came off, we were driving down the By-Pass and lost power steering....That was 2 weeks ago, before they replaced the pulley, belt and reservoir....That night, my husband had to steer it manually and it was very hard....Could his having to force the steering wheel to turn have broken something loose? The shop is closed on Saturdays and I am afraid to try to drive it now....Therefore, we will have to take another vehicle on our trip, as I don't want to risk having a wreck, if we lose control of the steering wheel....!

Thank you for your insight in answering my questions....!

Teresa

eurotec :

Hi Teresa, yes steering the car without power steering might have loosened the steering coupling. You made the right decision by taking the other car. I'd get this looked at as soon as you get back. It may turn out to be nothing serious but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Customer:

I have also had my horns replaced 3 weeks ago and they started sticking and not working again, and the whole center of my steering wheel was loose and moving around so they took it back in and fixed it and said that some screws had worked themselves loose when they worked on the horns and they tightened those....

eurotec :

Ahh, now that sounds more like what might have caused the noise. If they were working in the column to fix the horns they may have something loose still or out of position.

Customer:

Thank you....!

So, it would still be dangerous to drive the vehicle this weekend, right?

eurotec :

I'd mainly be concerned about the steering wheel itself coming loose. If the wheel is tight and the clicking

sounds like it's coming from the column area inside the car and not from outside the car it would probably be ok to drive.

eurotec :

Let me know if you need anything else.

Customer: Thz
Customer: Thank you so very much! We are in our "extra" car.....;
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.