Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.

Mercedes-Benz E320: cannot start engine key will not turn

cannot start engine key will not turn also doors will not lock/unlock with key or remote car is 1998 320e thank you
Hi, it sounds like your car battery has died. If the battery is dead the key cannot be turned in the ignition. I would have the battery charged and tested or try jump starting the car. Once you get voltage to the electronic steering lock you will be able to turn the key. This problem could also be caused by a bad electronic key but a weak battery is more likely the cause. If you have a spare key you should try it also. Let me know how you make out.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

battery operates lights satisfactorily could we have twoseparate

Hi Les, the battery can be strong enough to turn the lights on but too weak to power the other systems. I'd try the jump start first.